Revolutionary Story Time
presented by Exeter Hospital
Mumbet’s Declaration of Independence
Questions to consider
Did the Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution give all people the same rights?
Did the state constitutions (particularly Massachusetts and New Hampshire) provide the same rights, more, or less than the United States Constitution?
Do rights and responsibilities change over time?
How have people advocated and fought for justice throughout history?
What privileges do I have that others don’t?
- Freedom Petition Submitted by Enslaved People to the New Hampshire State Legislature in Portsmouth on Nov. 12, 1779
- Mum Bett’s Freedom Tale
- Preamble to the US Constitution
- An Excerpt from the United States Declaration of Independence
- Massachusetts Constitution
- New Hampshire Constitution – Bill of Rights
- Elizabeth Freeman
History behind the story