What Does It Mean to Be American? by Rana DiOrio and Elad Yoran explores a big idea by asking questions that will lead us to understand that being an American is so much more than where you live or were born.
Explore what it means to be a good citizen and what civic engagement means. Click HERE to download the lesson plan.
Now that you have “read” the story, what do you think of the following questions?
1) What does it mean to you to be American?
2) What does citizenship mean — including rights and responsibilities of citizens?
3) When have you exhibited citizenship?
4) What does it mean to be a good citizen?
5) What special rules do we follow as citizens of the United States?
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
2. Create a family/class ‘constitution’/motto.
3. Create a good citizen flower