In 1905, a Gilman family descendant gifted the Broadside to the Society of the Cincinnati, who owned the Ladd-Gilman house and continue to own the museum. Where the Broadside was between 1776 and 1905 remains a mystery, but it is known that it was framed sometime in the late nineteenth century and hung on a door in the Sullivan Room in the Ladd-Gilman House, where it was photographed in the 1920s.
At some point, it was placed in the attic where it was rediscovered by a member of the Society of the Cincinnati in 1985. It was authenticated and determined to be the same Broadside that was read by John Taylor Gilman in 1776. It was the twenty-third copy of a Dunlap Broadside known to exist at that time, and today there are only twenty-six copies known to still exist.
However, the state did claim ownership of the Broadside and a legal battle ensued between the state and the Society. In the end, a compromise was reached, giving dual ownership to the state and Society. An agreement was made that allowed the Society to retain possession of the Broadside under the condition that it be made available to the public, which is the reason that the American Independence Museum exists today.